⚠ In case you've missed it, we have migrated to our new website, with a brand new forum. For more details about the migration you can read our blog post for website migration. This is an archived forum. ⚠

•     

profile picture

GroceryCrud : MongoDB : Implementation???

BinaryBlock

BinaryBlock
  • profile picture

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:05 PM

Hello.

I am looking into new technologies for an upcoming project. I know that I want to use CodeIgniter framework and MongoDB (). I came across GroceryCrud recently and am initially pleasantly surprised.

For those who are not familiar, MongoDB (http://www.mongodb.org/) (from "humongous") is a scalable, high-performance, open source NoSQL database.

Does GroceryCrud integrate with MongoDB? Is there any plans to? Does the integration of these two technologies make NO sense?

Any information or experience would be very helpful.

davidoster

davidoster
  • profile picture

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Since CI doesn't support MongoDB (http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/general/requirements.html), GroceryCrud can't support it either.

But you could try to use an external library to support MongoDB.

Check here: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/162420/

Martin Lobato

Martin Lobato
  • profile picture

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

This should not be difficult since, GC allow us to change the model. I will try to make a very BASE model on mongoDB and I will share my results. 

Amit Shah

Amit Shah
  • profile picture

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

Well it surely can be developed.. a model for mongodb and then make the GC Connect to Mongo .. 

but with mongo beneath the layer, GC cannot be technically used for the same. for the following reasons that i forsee:

1. RDBMS like MySQL is structured... Mongo is (though structured but ) is more likely to be considered 

2. RDBMS have data types defined. The same is not available with Mongo db. 

3. There are Relations that can be explored in RDBMS / The same will not be possible with mongo db.

There are many such possible aspects that can come in line with when integrating the outcome with Mongo DB  or any such no-sql dbs.

Biggest question that arise for me is.. what are you going to do about nested data sets in each row that a mongo db allows for storage? How is the same going to be handled? If you have thoughts on such questions, it is going to be great to have a wrapper / layer built over no-sql db sets.

There is a specific purpose as to how the data is going to be stored down the line inside Mongo DB .. for each row. A few shall be array .. and few shall be string. How are you planning to manage the add / edit functionalities around the same? 

Such are many such queries / questions that keep a developer thinking before he can come to a viable solution.

I believe you surely will be able to work around on the same. Hoping for the best..

Happy GCing :)

Martin Lobato

Martin Lobato
  • profile picture

Posted 09 March 2017 - 21:28 PM

You are so right i all you say. Im no expert so I can't think beyond my problem right now, wich is to see in datagrid all not nested fields. of course I will try to make it as simple as I could. maybe this is a trigger to experts as a start point. this is the object i need to see..... the very best luck for me =) 

17202733_10155081068160948_3623298526915