⚠ In case you've missed it, we have migrated to our new website, with a brand new forum. For more details about the migration you can read our blog post for website migration. This is an archived forum. ⚠

•     

profile picture

very long textarea generates blank page

nelson

nelson
  • profile picture

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

I'm working with grocery CRUD inside a Codeigniter installation, I made a table with three fields:

id

name

text

the text field is "longtext" (I know is very large but is just to be sure that the issue does not depend by a MySql limit)

// primary key
        $crud->set_primary_key('prova_id');

// set subject
        $crud->set_subject('Prova');

// displayed columns on list
        $crud->columns('name','text');
        // displayed columns on edit operation
        $crud->edit_fields('name','text');
        // displayed columns on add operation
        $crud->add_fields('name','text');

but when I add a text longer than 499992 characters, the edit page is rendered as blank page.

Does it depend by GroceryCrud or Codeigniter?

Thanks,

Alfredo

Amit Shah

Amit Shah
  • profile picture

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi Nelson,

i doubt it depends on either. It will first off all depend at the base level of PHP .. if the time / memory / buffer limit is exhausted for base php ... it will fail to execute further - so lookout if it is being dieing at the base level itself...

Secondly...  if it moved step ahead of base level - it might be failing at the time of rendering the text - as it will be added up in the wysiwyg editor, it will try loading up itself and format accordingly.. now here is a point where even browser might fail due to its capacity of memory allocation and stuff....

So look up where it is failing .... server side / client side.. and u might be in a position to take necessary action..

Such errors might be logged up as in error.log in the applications root folder .... or might be added up in error.log / php.log (if avail) in the httpd logs folder.

Happy GCing :)

nelson

nelson
  • profile picture

Posted 09 October 2014 - 17:52 PM

Hi Nelson,

i doubt it depends on either. It will first off all depend at the base level of PHP .. if the time / memory / buffer limit is exhausted for base php ... it will fail to execute further - so lookout if it is being dieing at the base level itself...

Secondly...  if it moved step ahead of base level - it might be failing at the time of rendering the text - as it will be added up in the wysiwyg editor, it will try loading up itself and format accordingly.. now here is a point where even browser might fail due to its capacity of memory allocation and stuff....

So look up where it is failing .... server side / client side.. and u might be in a position to take necessary action..

Such errors might be logged up as in error.log in the applications root folder .... or might be added up in error.log / php.log (if avail) in the httpd logs folder.

Happy GCing :)

Hi,

I added this to my index.php

ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
set_time_limit(0);
ini_set("memory_limit","-1");

I'm using just a textarea, no wisisyg.

Everything works fine if I split the text in paragraphs and show a textarea for each paragraph.

The php error.log in apache2 log-dir doesn't show nothing.

But the blank page persist.

:(

Amit Shah

Amit Shah
  • profile picture

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

hmm.. interesting..

can u upload it to some server and share the details so things can be checked in... like how big is the data and stuff like that!! What is the real issue - mysql / server side / client side...!!