⚠ In case you've missed it, we have migrated to our new website, with a brand new forum. For more details about the migration you can read our blog post for website migration. This is an archived forum. ⚠

•     

profile picture

Move application and system folders in CI / change some GC default path

Edwin K

Edwin K
  • profile picture

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

In this tutorial : https://youtu.be/oEcASXlbNpg it is explained at the minute 1 that it's a good practice for security reasons to move the folders application and system of CI one folder upper, outside the public_html folder so that no one would be able to access them.

In that case, GC tries to read files in assets folders which have moved one directory upper. So GC Crud doesn't work anymore and one error among many other errors is for example:

A PHP Error was encountered:

Severity: Warning

Message: include(assets/grocery_crud/languages/english.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Filename: libraries/Grocery_CRUD.php

Line Number: 4078

So I have 3 questions:

1- Is there a real security issue with keeping application and system folders at origin path?

2- On my side I use Wamp, so i don't have a public_html folder but a folder called mywebsitename inside the www folder, but is this security advice also available?

3- Is there a way to redirect assets default path for GC?

Thank you!